top of page

View from the jetty in the  small boat harbour that was between the Breakwater and Gellibrand Piers,  looking south towards the Timeball Tower. This bluestone building was built in 1852. It was a signalling device to ships. From 1858 to1926 the large ball at the top was dropped at 1.00 pm each day to enable ships masters moored off shore to correct their chronometers. In 1932 it was adapted as a lighthouse and in later years restored to its original state. The small boat harbour was filled in during 1943 when space was needed for oil storage tanks. A "couta" boat is leaving the harbour.

"Bill" Sands is represented in the National Gallery of Australia.

Water colour.

Image size. 265 mm. x 363 mm. (10 3/8 inches x 14 1/4 inches).

Framed and glazed.

Signed Lower right Sands. 

Undated but before the conversion to a lighthouse.




    bottom of page