top of page

A view of the members of the Victoria Yacht Club celebrating their possession of their land grant at Portsea. The land was on high ground to the east of the township overlooking the pier.

The club became the Royal Yacht Club of Victoria at Williamstown.

Rare early view of recreational sailing in Victoria.

 

Published in The Australasian Sketcher. 1874.

 

Wood engraving.

 

150 x 225 mm.

 

Wood engravings were first produced in Europe in the fifteenth century. During the late eighteenth century the process was reintroduced and used for inexpensive illustrated books. The nineteenth century publishing phenomena of the illustrated newspaper was made possible by use of the technique. The process allowed for the illustration and the text to be printed by a single pass through the printing press using the letterpress method.  It also made it possible for several engravers or even a team to produce and work on a single illustration at the same time.


All the major artists of the period contributed to the illustrations. Some papers acknowledged the artists on the plates but The Australasian Sketcher appears to have had a policy of anonymity. Where known, we have included the artist’s name.

THE VICTORIA YACHT CLUB TAKING POSSESSION ... PORTSEA.

SKU: REG000073
AU$55.00Price
    bottom of page