top of page

Now called the Hornby Lighthouse or the South Head Lower Light.The catalyst to build the light, (the third lighthouse in the colony), was the wreck of the DUNCAN DUNBAR (1857), and the loss of 121 lives.The lighthouse was completed in 1858. Built of local dressed limestone it has distinctive red and white stripes.

 

Published in The Illustrated Australian News. 1875.

 

Artist. Albert Cooke. 1836-1902

 

Wood engraving.

 

191 x 225 mm.

 

Wood engravings were first produced in Europe in the fifteenth century. During the late eighteenth century the process was reintroduced and used for inexpensive illustrated books. The nineteenth century publishing phenomena of the illustrated newspaper was made possible by use of the technique. The process allowed for the illustration and the text to be printed by a single pass through the printing press using the letterpress method.  It also made it possible for several engravers or even a team to produce and work on a single illustration at the same time.

 

All the major artists of the period contributed to the illustrations. Some papers acknowledged the artists on the plates but The Australasian Sketcher appears to have had a policy of anonymity. Where known, we have included the artist’s name.

THE INNER LIGHTHOUSE, SOUTH HEAD, PORT JACKSON.

SKU: REG000055
AU$150.00Price
    bottom of page