top of page

The Sydney Custom House was opened in 1845 and was expanded and heightened in the later nineteenth century. It is still in situ, although hidden by the Cahill Expressway. It is on the site of the first European landing in Port Jackson.

Frederick Casemero Terry, (1825-1869) was an English artist and engraver who arrived in Sydney in the early 1850's. He gained a good reputation as a water-colour artist and engraver and in 1854 his work was the basis of the illustrated book  Australian Keepsake published by Sands & Kenny in 1855. Due to a mix-up, the attribute for the drawings is assigned to Fleury. He exhibited in the Paris Exhibition in 1855 as part of a group showing of artists working in Australia.

1854.

Steel engraving.

Later hand-colour.

110 x 162 mm. Vignette.

Good condition.

The Custom House, Circular Quay. 1854. Frederic Casemero Terry.

AU$195.00Price
    bottom of page