top of page

A set of six views. Port Cambell is the western end of The Great Ocean Road and the beginning of the Victorian Ship Wreck Coast. Port Campbell is named after Captain Alexander Campbell who was in charge of the whaling station at Port Fairy. He used the little cove for shelter.

1. Jetty

2. Entrance to the harbor.

3. Port Lonsdale.

4. Township of Port Campbell.

5. Entrance to Curdies River.

6. Inside the harbor.


Published in The Illustrated Australian News. 1884.


Artist. Samuel Calvert. 1828-1913.


Wood engraving.


303 x 215 mm.


Wood engravings were first produced in Europe in the fifteenth century. During the late eighteenth century the process was reintroduced and used for inexpensive illustrated books. The nineteenth century publishing phenomena of the illustrated newspaper was made possible by use of the technique. The process allowed for the illustration and the text to be printed by a single pass through the printing press using the letterpress method.  It also made it possible for several engravers or even a team to produce and work on a single illustration at the same time.

All the major artists of the period contributed to the illustrations. Some papers acknowledged the artists on the plates but The Australasian Sketcher appears to have had a policy of anonymity. Where known, we have included the artist’s name.


SKU: REG000081
    bottom of page