top of page

An historical oddity. Jack Pritchard's Rowing in Queensland 1880-1995, states that the club came into being in 1893 with the amalgamation of the two sheds of the Breakfast Creek Rowing Club and moving to their new premises on North Quay and a name change. Whatever is the true history, the engraving shows the Governor, His Excellency Mr. W. W. Cairns, C.M.G. opening the shed in 1875. No eights are pictured only a single sculler and a four oar gig.

 

Published in The Australasian Sketcher. 1875.

 

Wood engraving.

 

102 x 230 mm.

 

Wood engravings were first produced in Europe in the fifteenth century. During the late eighteenth century the process was reintroduced and used for inexpensive illustrated books. The nineteenth century publishing phenomena of the illustrated newspaper was made possible by use of the technique. The process allowed for the illustration and the text to be printed by a single pass through the printing press using the letterpress method.  It also made it possible for several engravers or even a team to produce and work on a single illustration at the same time.


All the major artists of the period contributed to the illustrations. Some papers acknowledged the artists on the plates but The Australasian Sketcher appears to have had a policy of anonymity. Where known, we have included the artist’s name.

OPENING OF THE BRISBANE ROWING CLUB ...

SKU: REG000072
AU$55.00Price
    bottom of page