top of page

The light was built to facilitate navigation for the entrance to Port Adelaide. In 1875 it was renovated and enlarged to contain a new lantern and improved accomodation for the keepers.Its height was increased to 120 feet. (37 metres).

Still extant but relocated and now part of  the South Australian Maritime Museum.

 

Published in The Australasian Sketcher. 1875.

 

Wood engraving.

 

160 mm x 160 mm.

 

Wood engravings were first produced in Europe in the fifteenth century. During the late eighteenth century the process was reintroduced and used for inexpensive illustrated books. The nineteenth century publishing phenomena of the illustrated newspaper was made possible by use of the technique. The process allowed for the illustration and the text to be printed by a single pass through the printing press using the letterpress method.  It also made it possible for several engravers or even a team to produce and work on a single illustration at the same time.

 

All the major artists of the period contributed to the illustrations. Some papers acknowledged the artists on the plates but The Australasian Sketcher appears to have had a policy of anonymity. Where known, we have included the artist’s name.

THE NEW LIGHTHOUSE, PORT ADELAIDE.

SKU: REG000033
AU$75.00Price
    bottom of page